pd-la Patching Circle
The pd-la Patching Circle is an informal gathering of anyone who is interested in patching languages (Pure Data, Max/MSP/Jitter, etc.). Beginners and experienced patchers welcome. Open to everyone – work on personal or professional projects, school work, or just patch quietly to yourself, in a room full of other people patching patches and helping other people patch.
The meetings are held at CRASHspace (10526 Venice Blvd, Culver City CA 90232).
The next meeting will be on Saturday 29 May 2011 at 2 PM.
For more information, or to sign up for the pd-la mailing list, visit the pd-la blog.
|Pd LA-unch II|
A California Confluence May 12-20, 2012
Los Angeles, San Diego, San Mateo California
|Sat||May 12||Hand Made Music (CrashSpace? LA)|
|Sun||May 13||Gala Pd/Max Patching Circle with International Guests(Crash Space LA)|
|Mon||May 14||Reception/Demonstrations/Roundtable with Miller Puckette (UCSD)|
|Tue||May 15||Workshops and Performance events at Crash Space and LA community venues|
|Wed||May 16||Workshops and Performance events at Crash Space and LA community venues|
|Thu||May 17||Workshops and Performance events at Crash Space and LA community venues|
|Sat||May 19||Maker Faire 2012 (San Mateo California)|
|Sat||May 20||Maker Faire 2012 (San Mateo California)|
This DIY conference, (aka confluence) is sponsored by Crash Space LA and New Blankets, Inc. as an effort
to encourage Puredata and the Maker movement, and to promote the spread of read/write culture for everyone.
VIP guests/participants for Pd LAunch? II include Miller Puckette, Hans Christoph Steiner, Chris Mc Cormick,
Andy Farnell, Sofy Yudistkaya ... and more TBD.
The Pd LAunch?_II local committee will help participants with locating accommodations and other logistics
-- If there is sufficient interest we may be able to get a room block/discount at a hotel near Crash Space.
Couch-surfing opportunities may be found as well, in LA and San Diego.
(On Friday, some van transportation will also be provided from Los Angeles to the Maker Faire in San Mateo.)
please RSVP as soon as you can.
Let us know if we can help your participation in any way.
Especially let us know about any particular workshops and/or demos that you would like to give or attend.
It might encourage and inspire us all &emdash; and your patch might wind up on the sidewalks of LA ...)
pd_LA_unch Schedule April 25 - May 1
Monday April 25
Where: Calit2 (UCSD Campus) Third Floor
When: 4:00PM – 8:30PM (approx, allowing time for carpools back to LA etc.)
What: Puredata Reception with Miller Puckette, UCSD colleagues and students
- Welcome by Miller to VIP guests
- Around-the-table introductions/thumbnails by UCSD colleagues and puredata activists from LA and UCSD
- Brief remarks/presentation/discussion by Miller and guests of their current activities
- Short performances, especially opportunities for students to “perform puredata” and briefly discuss their works
- Book-sprint style “video sprint” to unveil/peruse the MUS171: Intro to Computer Music videos and learning materials
- Ad lib socializing and refreshments
- Logistical things, description of the upcoming pd_LAunch? week’s events, arranging SAN->LA signups for carpools etc.
Wednesday April 27 (A)
Where: Long Beach Boys and Girls Club, Eastman/Fairfield (700 East Del Amo Blvd., Long Beach, CA, 90807)
When: 6:00PM – 7:30PM “Family Night” Pizza+puredata events
What: Family night: Dining-room demos, followed by puredata interactive-exhibits in gym, kids’ puredata giveaways/awards
Wednesday April 27 (B)
Where: Long Beach Boys and Girls Club, Eastman/Fairfield (700 East Del Amo Blvd., Long Beach, CA, 90807)
When: 7:45PM – 9:15PM Small group classes and workshops for BGC Staff, parents and other community members
What: Small group (6-20 participants?) classes and workshops (1.5 hour), based on advanced signups
– for whatever classes/workshops that our expert visitors/participants want to offer and get a quorum
Thursday April 28
Where: CRASHspace? (10526 Venice Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232)
When: 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM
What: Workshop with Hans-Christoph Steiner - Starting with Realtime Audio/Video Interaction
Friday April 29
Saturday April 30
General get-together/party for participants in pd-LAunch? activities. May include:
- Panel discussion – “Pure Data Inside-Out”
Sunday May 1
Where: The Wulf, Los Angeles
When: 8:00 PM
What: Miller Puckette and Friends in Concert at The Wulf
The Wulf, Los Angeles
During the week of April 25-30 in Los Angeles, CACrash_Space LA and New Blankets Inc will be hosting
— pd_LAunch —
a gala-grassroots festival of events to celebrate
the launch of a puredata/Max patching circle in LA.
This new LA patching circle will be hosted by Crash Space LA.
We will be providing regular updates about pd_LAunch? on pd list
and elsewhere -- many arrangements are still in-progress. But please
spread the word to those you know who may be interested -- whether
they live in LA and may become patching-circle "regulars" -- or if
they live anywhere in the world and just want to be part of the
The main purpose of this preliminary/early announcement is to
help you in making travel plans, etc. if you need to. We especially
welcome members of other patching circles (from other cities, other
countries) to join us in LA and share your experience and
At the moment, we have set up an an e-mail address:
where you can express your interest, support,
plans-to-attend and other helpful ideas.
Because the physical facilities at CrashSpace? are fairly small and other venues are still being negotiated, it's VERY IMPORTANT that you RSVP "yes" right away if you plan to join us April 25 - 30 in LA.(Kindly make your RSVP via the email address:
We request that you also use the "launch" e-mail address especially to
express interest in topics for workshops and/or demonstrations
that you would be interested in attending. (See suggestions below.) Or
you can use the e-mail to ask particular questions, to request travel
and lodging advice and assistance etc.)
events will be "free and open" to everyone, as much as space and
facilities permit. For some events that will be limited by space, we will be providing some signup lists — details forthcoming.
We would also request that when you RSVP "yes" you would
consider making a contribution to secure some of the spaces and
amenities we will need. A suggested contribution is $50 USD. We
welcome your contribution to this effort, with money or ideas or other
help, even if you cannot get to LA in person. We can all support the
new patching-circle there. (Money contributions, of whatever amount,
should be made to New Blankets Inc. which is a U.S. 501(c)(3)
tax-exempt organization; so your contributions are tax deductible
if/as those U.S. laws apply to you.)
Some events and highlights already planned for pd_LAunch:
- VIP guests: Miller Puckette, Hans-Christoph Steiner, Chris McCormick?, Natacha Diehls ... more invitations are "in the hopper" as well.
- Opening reception/build/video-slam at UCSD with Miller Puckette Monday April 25 (San Diego)
- "puredata gym-full" Family Night at the Long Beach Boys and Girls Club Wednesday Apr 27
- panel discussion with Miller Puckette and puredata developers Saturday afternoon Apr 30
- concert/party/reception "Music with Miller Puckette and Friends" Saturday evening Apr 30 (Miller Puckette, Natacha Diehls, Chris McCormick? and more ...)
- workshops and demonstrations by Hans Steiner, Chris McCormick?, Miller Puckette and others are being arranged ... These will be based on what the interest/registrations indicate and depending on what spaces/venues in LA can be arranged. (Some spaces larger than the CrashSpace? location may be required.)
- A "goody bag" and other items available for pd_LAunch? sponsors/RSVP'rs/contributors to include a 20-lecture puredata video course by Miller Puckette, pd_LAunch? souvenirs made on the CrashSpace? Makerbots, live-USB sticks ready to boot-up and run Linux/pd on any computer etc etc.
- "Store-front music" a transformation of the street-front of CrashSpace? into an interactive puredata experience, following up on the CrashSpace? smash-hit effort for VIMBY. (Get your patch out on the street ...)
Workshops/demos being planned: (Please suggest others if you like; all involve pd/Max patching):
- pd for beginners tutorials
- homemade-computer instruments "petting zoo" at the Boys and Girls Club
- GEM and interactive graphics
- WebPd? -- pd with your web browser
- android -- pd on your phone/handheld
- motion-interfacing with the Kinect 3D camera
- arduino/pduino for real-world interaction and robotics
Previous "talking points" announcement:
A patching circle is starting up in Los Angeles at Crashspace.
April 25 - 30, 2011
|(Goals)Launch a pd/Max patching circle in LA, to meet monthly thereafter at CrashSpace?|
|(Goals)Raise visibility of CrashSpace?, recruit new CrashSpace? members etc|
(Goals)Widen the audience for pd, especially to kids and other "non experts"
|(Goals)Explore/Develop/Exhibit "pd in community play spaces" (e.g. LBBGC, CrashSpace? sidewalk)|
|(Event)Saturday afternoon: Roundtable experts discussion: "pd state-of-the Art"|
|(Event)Saturday evening: Concert/Party featuring performances by "Miller Puckette and Friends"|
Miller availability: Saturday April 30 (roundtable, concert/party)
_________ Hans availability: Mon Apr 25 - Sun May 1 (workshops,demos,rigging,ArtistinTransit? ...)
|(Logistics)Begin announcements, invitations, confirmations via pd list|
|(Logistics) Wiki for the launch event: LAPatchingCircle|
|(Logistics) Identify "special guests" that New Blanket and/or the fest will sponsor to appear/perform|
|Distinguish launch event from regular patching circle meeting|
|How publicize? -- pd-list, ITP, dorkbot blabber, craigslist events|| Kinect camera
||Sidewalk in front of CrashSpace?||Get some community discussion going on mailing list(s)||Approved/sponsored pd/Max classes @ CrashSpace? and hosts/venues around LA (CalArts?, USC, BGC, Parks)||___"Intro to puredata" class/workshop||___"Intro to Computer Music" class/workshop||___ "Intro to pd Video" class/workshop||___"Intro to pd Physical Computing" class/workshop||___"Kinect yourself with pd" class/workshop||"Family Night" at BGC (Venice or Long Beach)||Invite/Encourage Special Guests especially for Saturday||All pd and Max/MSP users welcome!|| Promotional items (from Makerbot) allow donations/fundraising
__ key-fobs, penlights, or other small trinkets with pdLAunch logo(s)
__ Miller's "intro to computer music video set on USB"
|Interest in "book/video slam" event e.g. for translating Miller transcripts|